The Pet Travel Scheme

Pet Travel Scheme (Previously the Pet Passport)


Travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland

Due to Brexit, there have been some changes to what is needed before you can take your pet to the EU, as well as to Northern Ireland.

The main change is that you can no longer use your pet passport to travel to the EU or Northern Ireland, unless it was issued in one of these countries. If it was issued in England, Wales or Scotland, you will need an animal health certificate. These can only be used for one journey.

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

  1. An animal health certificate, unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland
  2. A microchip
  3. A valid rabies vaccination, at least 21 days before you travel
  4. Tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

If you are returning to the UK, you must visit a vet in the country you are visiting to have a tapeworm treatment administered, one to five days before you travel. This does not apply if you are returning from Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

Please note, these requirements also apply to assistance dogs.

The animal health certificate is a detailed and time consuming piece of documentation to complete, and requires an examination from your vet no more than ten days before you travel. Please give us plenty of notice to ensure that we can fit you in, as if we do not have available appointments, you will not be able to travel without it. Contact us if you have any questions.

For anyone wishing to travel to an unlisted third country then please contact the surgery for more details as different rules will apply. This process and the production of associated documents can take several months to complete. We also advise that you visit the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs website for full information.

Other things to check before you go include the approved transport companies and authorised routes for travel. Do you have pet insurance? Is your accommodation pet-friendly? Also consider what breed of dog you own, as countries can vary in what breeds they class under local dangerous dog acts.

For further information visit:

Or telephone the national Pet Travel Helpline 0370 241 1710  (email

Before you travel

Please ensure you are up to date with disease risks for the area you are visiting/moving too. Animals from the UK have little resistance to many European diseases. Remember your pet is only protected against Rabies and some parasites under the current scheme. You must protect your pets from Sand flies and ticks with gold standard products that repel as well as kill ticks. Some diseases are devastating to pets such as Babesiosis, Leishmaniasis

Please make an email enquiry for export certificates after researching the exact requirements and ensuring you have an idea of the time scale needed.

For current information on risk levels for your destination, check this government run website. It is essential that you check the latest information prior to travel as it does change regularly

If you are exporting companion animals to other countries contact DEFRA to ensure you can fulfil the requirements